Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Too Faced Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick in Nude


The Too Faced Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick in Nude is a milky caramel on the lips (a bit orangey brownish).  Aside from Nude there were no neutral options, just brights (hot pink, orange, bright pale pink, coral, you get the picture).  In spite of the similarities in tone in the swatch comparison, when applied the Too Faced Nude actually ends up about two shades lighter on my lips than it looked on my hand and appeared significantly lighter than the other three.  Come to think of it, the color of the tube itself is a much closer representation of what it looked like on my lips.  If at all possible this is one you need to try on your lips for an accurate color assessment.



The formula is a thin liquid with a lot of slip, which slides on effortlessly and is completely weightless on the lips.  Once it is applied you barely even notice it's there, and the nice thing is that it's every bit as pigmented as you'd expect from a liquid lipstick.  It doesn't exactly dry down the way a stain would, and the finish is not glossy but more what you'd expect from a satin lipstick.  On me it didn't seem to set and still transferred easily the way you'd expect from a gloss.


I really liked the applicator although I can see it getting gross over time.  It's sort of like a velvety felt tip pen with a nib that's just the right size for precise application.  When you squeeze the tube the lipstick comes out of four tiny holes on the applicator tip so you don't need to worry about it gushing out and making a mess.

Unfortunately for me, it was very unforgiving of dry lips, seeming to highlight and magnify every area of dryness.  Although there was plenty of slip in the formula, it was definitely not moisturizing for me, and over time I could feel the skin on my lips drying out underneath the product.  Your mileage may vary though, as honestly I can't figure out why that happens to me only with certain lip products.  Another one that works for 99.99% of the population but not me is Clinique Chubby Sticks, which unfortunately dry my lips out horribly.  And the L'Oreal Colour Riche Balms too.

Probably the worst aspect was a weird chemical scent/taste that frankly was so unpleasant it tipped this product into  "must return to store" territory.  And I can count on one hand the total number of times I've ever returned a beauty product.  For me this was a good example of  the dark side of impulse purchases.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no :( Too Faced just needs to step up their game in the lippie department (and summer palettes! Grrr!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Sorry that palette didn't work out! I was afraid to try their lip bombs from last year cause of all the plumping and tingling!

      Delete